Dear Jeukdo(죽도),
Hey, man. How’s it been? I know it’s only
been about 6 hours since we last saw each other, but I wanted to tell you how
much you mean to me, for I have never told you before.
We first saw each other about 2 years ago,
when I first came to morning exercise (아침기). KMS handed
out you and about a hundred of your friends to my fellow classmates doing kendo
with me during that cold, cold morning. You looked like any other Shinai
(official name for Jeukdo) with a yellow ponytail stretching along the entire
length of your light brown body, an orange skirt, and white stockings.
During the 2 years we have spent together,
we met Mondays through Fridays, always at 6:30am. We would exercise together
for about 30 minutes and I would go back to my dorm. After about a semester of
this routine, I decided to let you move in to my dorm, and I took you to and
from the gymnasium ever since. After I decided to be part of the kendo club, we
spent more and more time together. Not only would we practice together during
the morning exercise period, but we trained for hours in the gym during sports
club period on Wednesdays, during IR periods with KMS, and even during dinner
time. We entered tournaments as one team, fighting against bigger and better
pairs with much more experience. But I never got jealous of them, because I had
you, someone who knew me better than any other.
After these hard 2 years, I have grown
older, and you have as well. I have a lot of stubble on my chin now, while your
stockings have gone from white to grey. I have dark circles under my eye, while
your body is creaking and groaning more than ever. Due to this, I had to bring
in two more backup Jeukdos for intense training. I hope you don’t feel bad, for
it is for your own safety. All your other friends from 2 years back are mostly
dead and decomposing in the gym or the various secluded places of your school.
I want you to live longer so that I could remind myself of the times that
passed.
We have one year left in this school and
maybe for us as well. I’m planning to go abroad to study, and I don’t know if
customs officials would like you to board the planes…I’m pretty sure you’re on
the no-flight list. Of course, I’m looking to get my 2nd-grade dan,
so there would be about 6months left after graduation, but after that…I think
it would be it. So, in addition to telling you how special you are to me, I
want to say goodbye when I have the chance. It’s been an honor working with
you. Goodbye.
From Hongmin, your partner.
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기