2013년 9월 1일 일요일

MY IMAGE



Last year, our art teacher, Mr. Ahn, gave us a project during the second semester. At the time, I didn't really have a clue about what I should be making, so I was feverishly searching the Internet for possible solutions. One day, somebody had posted a famous cartoon, depicting a man launching himself from a kneeling position to attack his foe. The message of that scene was that the kneeling was not brought on by submission, but for a counterstrike that would take out the foe. Inspired, I decided to incorporate a well-known concept of taking a picture of one's eye and inserting a different image inside the eye with the scene. This was the end result. The eye in the photo is my own, taken by a friend. The image inside the eye is a combination of a series of pictures depicting myself launching myself from a kneeling position to stab with a bamboo kendo sword. The message I incorporated to this image was that I wasn't giving up despite my turbulent first year in the school.

My first year was rough, to say the least. I was too high and carefree to be responsible for my own work, and disastrously failed to balance my studies and my life in school. After almost a year of a vicious cycle of failure and misery, I was literally burned out physically and mentally. At times I thought of getting out of KMLA, on a temporary or even a permanent basis. However, I thought that I couldn't give up on myself when I had committed this much in my life here in KMLA, and my friends also advised me to stick around and endure the consequences of my actions. After that, when Mr. Ahn gave us this project and I got that inspiration, I started to think more positively about my situation as I toiled to complete the assignment

This photo became my Facebook profile picture for most of the second semester of 2012, as well as some part of 2013. It is one of the several photos I was really proud of taking or making. Not only was I proud to have made this image, but also I was thankful for the advice and help from my peers throughout its production. Just as I made it all the way to the second year in KMLA, I had endured the challenge of creating this image with the help of my friends as well. This image, I believe, symbolizes my life in KMLA, and reminds me of my decision to tough it out till the end.

댓글 1개:

  1. I have to admit that I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to essay assignments. If I visually see that the essay is not 5 paragraphs and below 500, my first instinct is to dock a few percentage points. And that is the case here. Make it a habit to aim for the above criteria.

    With that said, you are one of a few students to actually write the assignment properly. You chose a photo which I know is important to you, and you explored it on a few different levels. While I do feel you could have gone further with that, I appreciate your "to the point" writing style, and you aren't the type of guy to lavish extra words if you don't feel they are essential. But still... 76 more words gets you to 500, and even the symbolic significance of "the eye" and how it persists within culture and religion throughout the millenniums could have been mentioned. In any case, interesting, personal, and well written.

    답글삭제